WHO says Ebola outbreak can still be brought under control

Negative2 min readAI-generated summary

Report this article

Tell us what is wrong. We read every report.

Report this article
WHO says Ebola outbreak can still be brought under control
Health

Internazionale

The World Health Organization said on Aug. 18 that it remains possible to bring the current Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo under control, but that the epidemic is outpacing containment and has become the second-deadliest on record. The outbreak, Congo's worst of 17, has killed at least 2,325 people and has expanded to a sixth province. WHO said reversing spread could be done within three months if resources are available, yet it has raised only about 60% of the $115 million sought. Challenges include delayed detection, overwhelmed surveillance, armed conflict, and lack of vaccines and treatments for the Bundibugyo species; response capacity has been increased with 400 extra beds and more epidemiologists being deployed.

At least 2,325 people have died in the current Ebola outbreak.

Context

WHO recently said reversing the outbreak could be possible within three months if resources are available. Since then the outbreak has expanded to a sixth province and funding remains short. The WHO Emergency Committee will meet to…

The full analysis

19 dimensions on this story — world impact, market read, and what happens next.

  • Full ContextLocked
  • Affected SectorsLocked
  • Stock ImpactLocked
  • Economic IndicatorLocked
  • Investor RelevanceLocked
  • Professional RelevanceLocked
  • Watch PointsLocked
  • Probability of ChangeLocked
  • Debate PointsLocked
  • Prerequisite KnowledgeLocked
  • Follow-up QuestionsLocked
  • Pros & ConsLocked
Read free — no credit card